Monday, January 4, 2010

Hosed again!

I was walking by the doors to the railroad when I heard this disturbing sound......drip....drip.drip.drip...with only a few seconds between the drips. Upon investigation I found out that I had a water problem with water dripping from the ceiling and a big puddle on the floor. An investigation as to the source found that it was coming from the laundry room above. The floor underneath the washer was wet, but I couldn't find any leak. I filled the washer with water and skipped to the empty cycle and still no leak. I repeated the fill cycle again and this time let it run through the entire cycle. This time during the spin cycle the washer rocked a little and I could see water squirting out of where the supply hoses attached to the input fittings. I used a pair of pliers to tighten the hoses on both ends and now no leaks.

The hoses obviously were tight originally, but with time the rubber washers had compressed and/or the fitting loosened. A word of warning: If your train room is downstairs and your washer is above, make sure to check those hoses!

Now I've got to build a shelter out of plywood to go over the railroad just in case the drywall decides to let go. The shelter will also stay up during the repair process to protect the railroad from falling drywall.



3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Let us know what the NCI group can do to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a suggestion, but if it has been long enough for the washers to lose their seal, it might be time to replace the hoses and avoid a future problem down the road. If the hoses are left under pressure all the time, they will only last about 5 years before they can start to fail. It is cheap insurance to replace them. Also, suggest using the new valves that will shut off if the hose breaks. These are also a cheap form of insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott,

    Thank you for your offer for NCI to help. I got the shield constructed & in place, so I'm going to wait to repair this to see if there is any more leaking.

    Wade,
    Great suggestion! The hoses / washers are 7 years old, and even though the hoses are the have the woven steel outer covering, you are right in that it's time to replace them. Thanks!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete